[EM] "Total Vote Runoff"

Bob Richard (lists) lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Fri Jan 20 17:11:12 PST 2023

Law professor Ned Foley has proposed what he seems to think is a new
Concorcet-compliant method. He calls it "total vote runoff".  My guess
is that it has in fact been discussed on this list under another name. I
am I right, and (if so) what do the members of this list call it?

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4328946

Here is the summary description:

"Total Vote Runoff (TVR) is an electoral system designed to be identical
to Instant Runoff Voting (IRV), which is the most commonly understood
and implemented form of Ranked Choice Voting in the United States,
except for one key detail. Like IRV, TVR sequentially eliminates the
weakest candidate on the ranked-choice ballot when no candidate is
ranked first on a majority of ballots. Unlike IRV, however, TVR
identifies the weakest candidate to be eliminated based on the total
votes each candidate receives on all the ballots, rather than just the
number of first-place votes (as IRV does). A candidate’s total votes
from each ballot is defined as the number of other candidates the
candidate is ranked higher than on the ballot — as being ranked higher
than another candidate is equivalent to securing a vote against that
candidate, given that ranked-choice ballots can be conceived as
mathematically equivalent to a round-robin election among all the
candidates on the ballot. "

--Bob Richard