[EM] Hey guys, look at this...

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Wed Feb 22 09:51:20 PST 2023

On 2/21/2023 7:39 PM, Forest Simmons wrote:
 > Instead of just top two score runoff ... extend it to a runoff between
 > the score winner and the champion from below ... not just the score
 > winner from below ... but the winner from below determined (recursively)
 > by the same method .... i.e. Sequential Pairwise Elimination in disguise
 > ... a very respectable method with a long and hoary tradition behind it
 > in deliberative assemblies .. Robert'sRules of Order and the like.

The concept of "recursively" would be very difficult to explain to most
voters.  (Many voters think that IRV/STV's transfer of votes is too
complex and possibly unfair.)

IMO the concept of "recursive" is even harder to explain than "pairwise"
(even if the word itself is avoided).

 > Why have the STAR folks stubbornly dug in their heels with a clone
 > dependent version when one simple change would make it both Condorcet
 > efficient and clone-independent?

I believe part of their stubbornness comes from their initial belief
that IRV was the only way to count ranked choice ballots.  It's
understandable that they strongly dislike IRV (after they understood it,
which came after their initial enthusiasm for IRV).  It's mystifying as
to why they didn't realize there are lots of better ways to count ranked
choice ballots.

IMO both the STAR organization and the FairVote organization suffer as a
result of being led by people who do not fully understand mathematics.
In both cases they later worked with math-savvy experts, but only if
that math-savvy expert was willing to go along with the
already-established method.  The two leaders are slowly learning the
relevant math, but alas only after doing lots of money-backed promotion
for inferior counting methods.

I do agree with the fans of STAR voting that a voter should be allowed
to mark two or more candidates at the same preference level.

Currently I'm trying to educate local election officials that IRV can
count those marks.  And that this counting can be done without using
fractions.  (Simply "pair up" equivalent ballots, and distribute those
ballots in "whole" equal numbers to the same-ranked candidates.)

If the Portland (Oregon) elections in 2024 do count such marks --
instead of discarding them as "overvotes" -- then I'll know my local
education efforts have been fruitful.  I have my fingers crossed.

Richard Fobes
The VoteFair guy
(not to be confused with the other Richard in this forum)

(In the title I'm hoping that "guys" is intended to be the
gender-neutral version of this word to cover the election-method experts
who are female.)