[EM] Hey guys, look at this...

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 15:26:10 PST 2023

Richard,

Keep up the good work ... I know your work in the tranches is an up hill
battle and a thankless task.

The recursive formulation of SPE was not intended for public consumption
... only to point out to the "numerate" the irony of how tantalizingly
close STAR is to the well established, traditional Sequential Pairwise
Elimination procedure with a score based agenda. [Traditionally the SPE
agenda can be based on anything ...whim of the chair ... alphabetical order
... whatever ... it is external input to the SPE procedure.]

Keep up the good work!

-Forest

PS see my suggestion in-line below ...

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023, 9:52 AM Richard, the VoteFair guy <
electionmethods at votefair.org> wrote:

> On 2/21/2023 7:39 PM, Forest Simmons wrote:
>  > Instead of just top two score runoff ... extend it to a runoff between
>  > the score winner and the champion from below ... not just the score
>  > winner from below ... but the winner from below determined (recursively)
>  > by the same method .... i.e. Sequential Pairwise Elimination in disguise
>  > ... a very respectable method with a long and hoary tradition behind it
>  > in deliberative assemblies .. Robert'sRules of Order and the like.
>
> The concept of "recursively" would be very difficult to explain to most
> voters.  (Many voters think that IRV/STV's transfer of votes is too
> complex and possibly unfair.)
>
> IMO the concept of "recursive" is even harder to explain than "pairwise"
> (even if the word itself is avoided).
>
>  > Why have the STAR folks stubbornly dug in their heels with a clone
>  > dependent version when one simple change would make it both Condorcet
>  > efficient and clone-independent?
>
> I believe part of their stubbornness comes from their initial belief
> that IRV was the only way to count ranked choice ballots.  It's
> understandable that they strongly dislike IRV (after they understood it,
> which came after their initial enthusiasm for IRV).  It's mystifying as
> to why they didn't realize there are lots of better ways to count ranked
> choice ballots.
>
> IMO both the STAR organization and the FairVote organization suffer as a
> result of being led by people who do not fully understand mathematics.
> In both cases they later worked with math-savvy experts, but only if
> that math-savvy expert was willing to go along with the
> already-established method.  The two leaders are slowly learning the
> relevant math, but alas only after doing lots of money-backed promotion
> for inferior counting methods.
>
> I do agree with the fans of STAR voting that a voter should be allowed
> to mark two or more candidates at the same preference level.
>
> Currently I'm trying to educate local election officials that IRV can
> count those marks.  And that this counting can be done without using
> fractions.  (Simply "pair up" equivalent ballots, and distribute those
> ballots in "whole" equal numbers to the same-ranked candidates.)

Another solution is the Martin Harper solution: two passes through the
ballots for each elimination step ... initially count the equal first
rankings as whole "equal first approvals" ... then (on the second pass)
transfer the entire vote of the ballot to its equal-first candidate with
the greatest equal-first approval total (from all the ballots).

Does that make sense?

It strengthens IRV's partial clone-winner compliance ... a definite
improvement!

The method becomes so robust that even if every voter made all their ranked
votes equal-first, this method would not break down.

The method can be thought of as a happy marriage of Approval and IRV ...
for people not put off by mixed marriages.