[EM] Hey guys, look at this...

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Sun Feb 19 10:46:55 PST 2023

I asked Kristofer whether Condorcet+FPTP complied with the Condorcet
Loser criterion. He replied "probably not" with a sketch proof, and then
gave the following example.

<quote>
[preliminary election]

40: L>C>R
42: R>C>L
10: C>L>R

R is the Condorcet loser and Plurality winner. (L is the IRV winner.)

Now clone C, the CW:

40: L>Ca>Cb>Cc>R
42: R>Cb>Cc>Ca>L
10: Cc>Ca>Cb>L>R

There's no CW, so Plurality elects R, the Condorcet loser.
(Incidentally, R ties for first in minmax.)

Seems OK. Verified with
https://web.archive.org/web/20220403135047/http://www.cs.angelo.edu/~rlegrand/rbvote/calc.html.

</quote>

I'd wondered whether Robert didn't have any intellectual commitent to
the criterion, but had used it in argument against IRV and therefore
found his options limited.

CJC