[EM] Condorcet meeting

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Tue Aug 29 23:05:01 PDT 2023

Colin,

> Asking what's wrong with bullet voting is equivalent to asking what's
> wrong with FPTP.
No it isn't. That's like comparing people choosing to remain silent with
people not being allowed to speak.

> The answer is not that it subverts the system, but that
> it withholds information the system would use to good effect.
Unlike FPP, voluntary bullet voting provides the "information" that
those voters were given the opportunity to
rank some candidates above equal-bottom and chose not to.

The lower preferences of the supporters of candidates with sufficient
first-preference support to get on the
final ballot are (as far as I can see) completely irrelevant, so I can't
imagine what "use to good effect" in this
case that you have in mind.

> But if this summary is pessimistic, voters might indeed fill in
> ranked preference ballots to a reasonable depth.

There is no "reasonable depth" other than exactly what the voter chooses.

> In this case, it seems
> to me that they're being put to unconscionable lengths for what is only
> a primary, and they have no way of knowing where to stop.
If they are really so clueless as to how the system works they can take
advice from
their favourite candidates/parties.  Most will suggest they just bullet
vote. I would
think very few would advise them to rank more than three candidates.

> Such criticisms are futile unless it's possible to do better; but I
> had hoped that my own method was better, in that it achieved roughly the
> benefits of voting to depth four at roughly the cost of voting to depth
> one.
Your suggested method transfers some power from voters to candidates,
which I find
unconscionable.  In that circumstance (along with it being just a
primary) the supposed
"benefits of voting to depth four" are  imaginary.

Chris Benham