[EM] Condorcet meeting

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 30 00:17:47 PDT 2023

Kristofer,

IMHO this is all far too complicated and completely wrong-headed.

For one thing, it seems to assume that major candidates have some
interest in,
or in some way benefit from, displacing minor candidates off the final
ballot.

In fact, with voluntary voting, they are just as likely to be harmed by
them doing that
as helped.  Major moderate wing candidates can benefit by minor (sure
loser) more extreme
candidates on the same wing being on the ballot, because they inspire
more voters to turn out
who will help that moderate wing candidate to defeat the other major
candidate/s.

So with your suggested method, a candidate could lose the election
because it did too well in
the primary.

I only recently saw the first message in this thread, and was a bit
surprised that the N suggested
was so small and elastic ("2-5").

My suggested solution assumed a fixed N.  I would have no problem with
7, certainly at least 5.

If we are happy to have N elastic because we don't want any very weak
candidates on the ballot,
then we can do IRV-style eliminations and vote transfers until the
lowest tally of any not eliminated
candidate meets some arbitrary threshold and then we stop.

Or we can combine that with saying we are going to have at most X
candidates.

I think I prefer a quite high fixed number.  Lots of candidates can help
inspire turnout and make for
a wider and more interesting "battle of ideas".

Chris B.