[EM] Condorcet meeting

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 17:33:10 PDT 2023

Yes, the rule of thumb I quoted should be thought of as a quick and dirty
approximation to 2^entropy or e^entropy, depending on whether entropy is
measured in bits or nats.

Here's another related rule whose relevance and convenience is more obvious:

Let n be floor of the quotient of the total number of ballots and the
cumulative support of the cumulative vote winner. [Cumulative votes are
like approval votes, except they are counted fractionally instead of whole.
]

This choice of n makes possible a simple version of STV for selecting the n
runoff finalists.

Let Q be the number of ballots divided by n. The largest faction will be no
larger than this quota, but after eliminations and vote transfers all n
remaining candidate factions will be within one transferred  vote of Q in
size.

Before continuing he pairwise wins and losses are determined once and for
all ... with all ties resolved.

The pairwise loser of the two smallest faction candidates, has her first
place votes transferred respecting their ballot preferences as much as
possible ...consistent with the upper limit imposed by the quota Q.

Once a candidate reaches Q votes, his stash of votes is frozen.

Keep going in this way until exactly n factions remain.

The candidates that correspond to these remaining factions are the
finalists to participate in the runoff ... a runoff that will have its own
method and new ballots.

I recommend for the initial narrowing stage (that we already detailed) an
option of VPR (Vote for a Published Ranking) for those voters that find it
too tedious to generate their own ranking or partial ranking.

I offer this in the spirit of brainstorming ..
 not intending a finished product!

fws