[EM] Condorcet meeting

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Fri Aug 25 17:23:17 PDT 2023

On 8/26/23 01:23, Michael Garman wrote:
> Colin,
>
> Your concern about approval voting is corroborated, at least
> anecdotally, by evidence from Fargo, ND -- the only US jurisdiction to
> use approval in general elections. In 2022, 60%
> <https://citizendata.com/tracking-voter-support-for-electoral-reforms/>
> of voters reported voting for just one candidate in the field of seven.
> At least two candidates (at least according to quotes in an article
> <https://democracysos.substack.com/p/what-fargo-reveals-about-approval>from Rob Ritchie) encouraged their supporters to bullet vote for them.

Given that we're talking about approval as a first stage of a multistage
method, the more relevant comparison would probably be approval plus
runoff, like in St. Louis. I don't know the analogous stats for the
primary there, however.

I don't think approval would be good enough for a single-winner election
(Burr dilemma and incommensurability) as mentioned before. But choosing
five finalists is different matter than choosing a single winner.

-km