[EM] STAR

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Fri Aug 18 20:10:27 PDT 2023

Toby,

> I wouldn't count this as a monotonicity failure because it involves
> decreasing Y's score as well as increasing X's.

This is like a sophist's technical loophole.  Why do we particularly
care about "monotonicity failure"? To avoid some hypothetical mild
embarrassment?
For the sake of marketing bragging rights?

Or because it is related to Push-over strategy incentive/vulnerability?
STAR is  much worse in that respect than IRV because there the
strategists are entirely
relying on other voters to both get their favourite into the final two
and to there win the pairwise contest, so if too many of X's supporters
try the strategy it
could backfire.

Whereas with STAR the strategists could be a bit cautious and give the
weak candidate they are trying to promote into the final a score of max.
minus one
while also giving their favourite X max. points.

That way all of X's supporters could use the strategy and it could still
succeed.

The 0-5 score ballot is too restrictive (certainly for STAR)  Say, as I
earlier advocated, the voters rank however many candidates they want to
and give an approval cutoff wherever
they want, and we elect the pairwise winner between the two most
approved candidates.

That would be very similar to STAR (0-5 score ballots) but wouldn't it
be better?  And also a method that fails mono-raise and Condorcet and
many other criteria
and is obviously terrible?

Chris