[EM] STAR

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Fri Aug 18 15:23:04 PDT 2023

Hello,

Le vendredi 18 août 2023 à 15:59:02 UTC−5, Colin Champion <colin.champion at routemaster.app> a écrit :
> Forest - I read fpdk's post as an implicit argument for cardinal voting
> (which was why it was relevant to STAR). Each friend states the utility of
> each topping to himself or herself: which topping do they choose
> collectively? And the answer is the one whose sum of utilities is greatest.
> I don't think there's a better answer.
>    CJC
>

> On 18/08/2023 21:50, Forest Simmons wrote:
> >
> > He posed a pizza choice among friends pronlem.. a problem of consensus as
> > opposed to "tyranny of the majority" ... how to find the best consensus
> > decision when a simple majority first place preference would not be ideal.

If we're discussing a group of friends as the voters, who possess a higher
goal, not of getting the best outcome for themselves individually, but to
ensure some global happiness with the result, I guess there would be some
room to play around with what that happiness goal is.

What occurs to me in particular is that a group might want to minimize the
number of voters who are "really unhappy" with the result. So you might have
some option which maximizes utility, but the group would opt against that
one if one friend is particularly harmed by it.

To be honest "max utility wins" doesn't strike me as a rule friends would
use, unless the issues voted on are not really that critical to anyone.

Kevin
votingmethods.net