[EM] STAR

Colin Champion colin.champion at routemaster.app
Sat Aug 19 02:11:24 PDT 2023

Kevin - I think I agree really. It's a debate about utilitarianism.
There's a shallow objection to adding utilities, which is that they may
not be suitably scaled, and a more serious one that considerations of
justice etc may enter into people's moral judgements, and that these
don't lend themselves to a utilitarian calculus. Different objective
functions will have different optima. But it's one thing to cricitise
fpdk's model, and another to criticise the conclusion drawn from it.
    And this is why I'm still puzzled by what Forest is saying. If
fpdk's model is what I assume it to be, I don't see how there's room to
improve on cardinal voting, or how cardinal voting can be only 'not too
bad'. Perhaps Forest has another objective function in mind, based on
consensus rather than utilities, but I'm not sure what it is or whether
it's really an improvement.
    As I recall, Amartya Sen goes to town in distancing himself from
utilitarianism. In an extreme case (which I'm not sure Sen would
reject), collective utility might be an increasing function of the
utility of the worst-off member of society, and a decreasing function of
everyone else's. Obviously no monotonic transformation of individual
utilities can reconcile this with utilitarianism.
    CJC