[EM] Approval-enhanced IRV

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun Aug 6 13:51:49 PDT 2023

On 8/6/23 22:28, Kevin Venzke wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Le dimanche 6 août 2023 à 01:37:25 UTC−5, C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> a écrit :
>> The MD criterion has gone a bit out of fashion because it directly contradicts the
>> Chicken Dilemma criterion.
>
> I'm not sure if MD (even as SDSC) was ever in fashion exactly, but what it is, as you
> know, is a special case of trying to minimize compromise incentive. If you say that has
> gone out of fashion too, well, maybe you'd be right. I don't think CD is the reason for
> that though. In any case I think it would be a mistake for a Condorcet advocate to omit
> compromise incentive from their vocabulary.

The Condorcification logic gives a link between Condorcet itself and
compromise resistance, namely that if a majority can always compromise
for X no matter what other candidate was elected, then perhaps one
should elect X to begin with.

So I wouldn't say that compromise incentive has gone entirely out of
fashion :-)

 From its perspective, if there is a majority-strength Condorcet cycle,
then no matter who you elect, there exists a majority who could've
compromised to get someone else elected, which also would seem to bound
what can be done.

-km