[EM] Method X, bummer

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 06:01:14 PDT 2023

 Given that you would not have a problem with graded ballots, but the problem is that it would be outside Universal/Unrestricted Domain, this raises the question of what about UD makes it so important to you in the first place?
I think I've said before on here that I think score/graded ballots should work very well with a Condorcet method, as long as you have enough grades so that voters can make a distinction between enough candidates that they are realistically likely to want to. I think it would be easier for the voter, since they can grade the candidates in any order they want without having to do so in order (and possibly miss one out), and it allows for ties in the middle of the ranking rather than just by truncating at the end. Voters wouldn't have to worry about the "meaning" of grades because they would only be used to generate a preference order, with ties allowed. It should also mitigate against the problem of burial. If the grade for a candidate is left blank, it would be taken to mean the bottom grade, and voters are likely to bottom grade or leave blank all candidates they don't really like, rather than having to individually rank them. A ranked ballot would likely encourage voters to bury their disliked frontrunner below other candidates they dislike or don't care about. With grades a voter could still bury this candidate if they wanted, but they wouldn't be "nudged" into it by the ballot type, which I think they would be more so with a ranked ballot.
Toby