[EM] Method X, bummer

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 20:42:55 PDT 2023

See if any of your worries apply to the main application I am proposing for
use of Strong Approval and Strong Disapproval:

Ballots are ranked preference style with two virtual candidates ... the
Strong Approval Cutoff and the Strong Disapproval Cutoff.

The default positions of these respective cutoffs are immediately below the
top (or equal top) position, and immediately above the bottom position that
harbors any and all candidates that do not outrank any candidate(s).

For each candidate X, let SA(X) and SD(X) be the respective number of
ballots on which X is above (respectively below) the Strong (Approval
respectively Disapproval) cutoff.

For each ballot B, let f(B) (respectively f'(B)) be the candidate strongly
(approved. resp disapproved) on ballot B that is strongly (approved resp
disapproved) on the greatest number of ballots.

We refer to f(B) and f'(B) respectively as the favorite and anti-favorite
candidates, respectively of ballot B.

The swap cost of converting one permutation P of the candidates into
another such permutation Q is the sum of the costs of the elementary swaps
needed to effect the conversion.

The swap cost of a single swap
AB --> BA is b'a, where b'=f'(B) and a=f(A).

Example.

48 C
28 A>B
24 B

What is the swap cost of converting C>A>B to its reverse order B>A>C?

The set of elementary swaps required are CA to AC, CB to BC,  and AB to BA.

The total swap cost is given by
ca'+cb'+ab' where c=48, a=28, b'=0, and
a'=24+48=72

So the swap cost is=3456.
48×72+48×0+28×0=48×72

How about converting BAC to its reverse?

ba'+bc'+ac' = 24(72+28)+28×28=3184

We see that it is more expensive to convert  CAB into BAC, than vice-versa.

Which order is the most expensive to convert into its opposite?

It could be argued the more democratically expensive to reverse an order,
the more stable the order.

Let's try reversing ABC:
The cost is ab'+ac' +bc', or ...
0+(a+b)c'=52×28=1456

Reversing back from CBA to ABC costs ... cb'+ca'+ba'=(c+b)a'=(48+24)76=5472

Reversing BCA:

b(c'+a')+ca'=2400+48×72=5856

Reversing ACB:
ac'+(a+c)b'=28×28=784

It seems that. BCA is the hardest permutation to reverse.

Note that B is not the anti-favorite of any faction and that A is the
antifavorite of every faction except its own.

Also BCA is a beatpath with defeat strengths of B>C=52 to 48 and C>A=48 to
28.

Because the C faction did not explicitly strongly disapprove B, candidate A
ended up with most of the default strong disapproval .... and B with none
of it.