[EM] Approval-enhanced IRV

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Sat Aug 5 23:36:40 PDT 2023

49 A (sincere might be A>B)
24 B
27 C>B

This is the classic example used by fans of the Minimal Defense
criterion to attack any method that elects A here, like IRV and Margins.

More than half the voters rank B above A and A no higher than
equal-bottom, and yet (failing MD) A wins.

A big point for it is that the 27 C>B voters have reason to regret not
compromising and voting B>C.

With this method, if their main concern is to defeat A they can mark B
as approved and achieve that goal without having to insincerely
order-reverse.

A is the IRV winner.  B will be the candidate with the most approval
opposition to A.  B pairwise beats A. All the ballots that rank B already
truncate just below B, so B wins.

The MD criterion has gone a bit out of fashion because it directly
contradicts the Chicken Dilemma criterion.

49 A
24 B (sincere is B>C)
27 C>B

That says that the B faction should not be able to steal the election
from B by this defection (insincere truncation against a faction that is
giving
yours its second-preference votes). Normal IRV  meets CD.

  Here if the C>B voters have maybe not such a strong B>A preference and
want to guard against being stung by Defection, then they can not
mark B as approved.  Then C will be the candidate with the most approval
opposition to the IRV winner A.  A wins that pairwise comparison and
so is elected.

The reason for the last part of the method in the full version is that
without it I fear that some voters might be able to rank one or more extra
candidates that changes the IRV winner from one that wins the pairwise
comparison against a candidate they prefer to one that loses it,
thereby breaking LNHelp.

Chris B.