[EM] Method X

Filip Ejlak tersander at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 11:17:41 PDT 2023

Method X is cloneproof as well! That makes it even more superior to Kemeny
(I think that cloneproofness is a must for a good electoral method). I also
think that IIB *is* met, because if a given ballot is not exhausted, it is
not irrelevant.
I'm building something similar to the quadelect program so I can check
similar things; indeed the results show that Smith//Method_X is monotonic
(if ties are resolved properly), cloneproof and DMTBR-compliant (and of
course ISDA-compliant). Finding a method that combines it all is an amazing
achievement! A polytime version, if such exists, would certainly be the
Holy Grail Method. If it doesn't exist, then the non-polytime version would
probably still be the best option - as it was already mentioned, real-life
elections wouldn't be at all as computation-costly as it is theoretically
possible.
Perhaps basing the elimination process on first. pref. Copeland score or
"friendly" score instead of simple plurality score should be considered - I
guess it might at least make Method X naturally ISDA-compliant, but the
criteria compliance and strategy resistance would need to be checked again.

Below I present the closest thing to a non-monotonicity example that I
found; by the way, you can check if the X score results are correct (and
the implementation is OK):

1: A>B>D>C
1: B>C>A>D
1: B>C>D>A
1: C>A>B>D
1: C>B>A>D
1: C>D>A>B
1: D>A>B>C
2: D>C>A>B
1: D>C>B>A

The scores are A:0, B:5, C:5, D:5, so there's a B-C-D tie.
But then we raise B by changing CBAD to BCAD and DCBA to DBCA.
The new scores are A:4, B:5, C:0, D:6, so D wins - B is no longer in the
winning tie.
So if we want to 100% guarantee the monotonicity in all edge cases, we
should make sure that such a tie is not resolved by making B the winner.

śr., 2 sie 2023 o 01:21 Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at t-online.de>