[EM] Defeat Strength

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 18:30:55 PDT 2022

It has more to do with strategy than equity.

I prefer minimizing opposition to the defeat, because that relieves
tension, resentment, and polarization. Perhaps it is possible to win
without alienating the opposition, i.e. without all of the bad feelings.

Notice in the three examples, there was zero opposition against the victory
of A over B, so no hard feelings if A beats B.

On the other hand, the C beats D defeat is highly polarized ... 4999 angry
losers.

But my question which of the three claims is most defensible statistically
... i.e. which one is least likely to be reversed by a random fluctuation
in the weather on election day in a parallel universe.

It seems to me that the margins result (F defeating G) is the most stable
in this case. Is that always true?