[EM] Inclusion/Exclusion Counts

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 11:29:10 PDT 2022

That is a great insight!

My most recent message in this thread adds a term to the defeat strength
that achieves reverse symmetry, but it comes at the cost of increasing
burial incentive.

The term is Bad(B) defined as ...

Sum bottom(Z) | B does not defeat Z

in the context of defeat strength, where B is the pairwise loser of the
defeat in question. Bottom(Z) is the percentage of bottom ballot positions
occupied by Z.

So if B is the Condorcet Loser, then Bad(B) is 100%.

Obviously if this term is given equal weight with its reverse symmetry
counterpart, it will contribute an appreciable burial incentive.

The reverse symmetry counterpart is Good(A) defined by

Sum Top(X) | X does not defeat A

in the context of defeat strength of a defeat where A is the pairwise
winner.
Top(X) is the percentage of Too ballot positions occupied by X.

So if A is the CW, then Good(A) is 100percent.

So jt's probably not a good idea to use Bad(B) to create reverse symmetry.
However, perhaps it could be given non-symmetrical,  infinitesimal weight
for tie breaking purposes only.

Also, perhaps their is a milder version of Good(A), whose reverse symmetry
counterpart Bad(B), would have a tolerable burial incentive.

-Forest