[EM] Inclusion/Exclusion Counts

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 12:24:56 PDT 2022

Suppose we start with  Defeat Strength DS(A>B) defined by ...

Sum Top(X) | X does not defeat A
Minus
Sum Top(Y) | B defeats Y,

and add a difference that will confer  reverse symmetry onto the resulting
defeat strength ... something like this ...

Sum Bottom(Z) | B is not defeated by Z
Minus
Sum Bottom(K) | K defeats A

If we put these differences together, and combine the subtrahends to
minimize subtractions, we get a defeat strength expression with reverse
symmetry for the A>B defeat:

Sum Top(X) | X does not defeat A
Plus
Sum Bottom(Z) | B is not defeated by Z
Minus
[Sum Bottom(K) | K defeats A+Sum Top(Y) | B defeats Y]

If A is the CW and B is the CL, this strength is 200 percent, so perhaps we
should divide the whole thing by two.

With all the bottom and top percentage terms involved in one way or
another, this expression should be very decisive.

But in the rare case of a tie or ties, a complete ranking created by random
ballot draws should be an acceptable traditional way of resolving any
ambiguities in the Ranked Pairs finish order.

-Forest