[EM] Inclusion/Exclusion Counts

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 00:03:07 PDT 2022

Jobst pointed out clone dependence of a related method I see the need to
fix this one, too.

Let Good(A) be the "goodness" of A,  (judging from the superficial first
place lottery probabilities) defined as ...

Sum {fp(X)|A is not defeated by X},

where fo(X) is the percentage of first place ballot positions occupied by X.

Likewise, let Bad(B) be the superficial "badness" of B, defined as ..

Sum {bot(Z)|Z is not defeated by B},

where bot(Z) is the percentage of bottom ballot positions occupied by Z.

The pairwise defeat A>B is what you would expect when B is bad and A is
good. The worse B, and the better A, the bigger numerically both Bad(B) and
Good(A). So their sum Bad(B)+Good(A) is a natural measure of defeat
strength that gives equal importance to top and bottom ballot positions.

Presently (meaning soon) we'll test it on a few examples to see if it lives
up to expectations!

Forest