[EM] Inclusion/Exclusion Counts

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 19:55:47 PDT 2022

Richard Lung has been patiently teaching and reminding us that the
information from ballot last choices is just as valuable as the top choice
information ... if only we incorporate it wisely ... as suggested by
Richard and other proponents of Binomial STV, for eexample.

For decades we have seen an echo of this wisdom in the form of ballots that
allow one vote for, and one vote against.

Critics have always maintained that this idea shows a lack of awareness of
clone dependence. But that judgment assumes that just because there is a
bad way of using those ballots, there can be no good way.

Just as "vote one" plurality ballots are perfectly adequate for the
benchmark lottery, the vote  "one against" ballot is perfectly adequate for
the anti-favorite lottery.

We have seen already that these two lotteries have equally important roles
in de-cloning the Kendall-tau metric for making a clone free version of
Kemeny-Young.

Here's another application of this idea whose time has come:

Gauge pairwise defeat strength of Y by X as the product  f(X)*f'(Y), where
f and f' give the benchmark and anti-benchmark lottery probabilities,
respectively.

Condorcet with this defeat strength gauge is the method we should be
testing for dishonest strategy resistance, and for Voter Satisfaction
Efficiency!

It could be the best all around single winner deterministic Universal
Domain method ever!

Thanks to Richard for your patience in keeping us on the right track!

And thanks to Kevin and Kristofer for keeping us honest by experimental
testing of our ideas ... two versatile scientists with both analytical and
experimental creativity and insight.

And Richard ... a well read renaissance man of wide ranging historical
social and hard science intellectual interest ... with amazing intuition!

-Forest