[EM] Definite Approval/Disapproval

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun May 8 06:19:30 PDT 2022

On 07.05.2022 19:30, Forest Simmons wrote:

> El sáb., 7 de may. de 2022 9:26 a. m., Richard Lung
> <voting at ukscientists.com <mailto:voting at ukscientists.com>> escribió:
>

>> Kristofer,
>>
>> Werner Heisenberg said that if in the end you cannot say what you
>> have found, then all your finding is worthless.
>> Fortunately, voters only need to know how to do the vote. Those who
>> expect the count also to be understandable by everyone - typically
>> claimed by anti-reformers - talk as if elections were an exception
>> to the division of labor.
>

> How many congress critters (let alone  American plough boys) have any
> inkling of the Webster, Jefferson, or Hamilton apportionment rules, let
> alone the Huntington-Hill formula that is actually codified into US law?

And if I recall correctly, Huntington-Hill is more biased than Webster,
which is the simpler system! Clearly, comprehensibility is not what's
being optimized for there...

If the change is being initiated from within the system itself (i.e. by
the congresscritters), then there's probably not all that much need for
legibility. However, if it's contentious, I imagine that the opposition
will use the seeming incomprehensibility for what it's worth.

-km