[EM] Definite Approval/Disapproval

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sat May 7 09:26:20 PDT 2022

Kristofer,

Werner Heisenberg said that if in the end you cannot say what you have found, then all your finding is worthless.
Fortunately, voters only need to know how to do the vote. Those who expect the count also to be understandable by everyone - typically claimed by anti-reformers - talk as if elections were an exception to the division of labor.
("Complicated, that word of fear," as HG Wells described a refrain to STV.)
My system is an example. I doubt anyone understands FAB STV (I don't understand it, or even the much simpler hand count, because it hasn't been tested and modified in the light of experience.)
But all voters need to know is that: You have a preference vote equal to the number of candidates. The first preference counts as much to elect a candidate, as the last preference counts to exclude a candidate. A blank paper ( "white paper" as they call it in France, same as NOTA) is one vote towards a seat remaining vacant. Individual preferences left blank also contribute, in their degree, to a vacancy.

For example, 10 candidates contest 5 seats. The first five preferences count more or less to 5 seat elections. The last 5 preferences count less or more, to the exclusion of the other 5 candidates.

Note that the election counts and exclusion counts need not count against each other. An exclusion quota consolidates an election quota. In other words, a candidate is helped both by popularity and lack of unpopularity.

Regards,
Richard Lung.