[EM] Electrical Network Resistance Model (was Ideas for distance Schulze tie-breaking)

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 18:10:28 PST 2022

Here is a highly flawed first attempt at decloning the "electometer"
network:

Unlike the straightforward case of decloning the beatpath resistance
method, the electrical network resistance model allows for parallel paths
of current, which introduces another source of clone dependence.
To compensate for that we need to include another factor in the resistance
diodes.

 Recall that every pair of candidates (j, k) is connected by two diodes (or
possibly one equivalent composite circuit element, but let's go with two
dodes for clarity):

The diode for current from node j to k has a rectifier that enforces that
direction in series with a resistor whose resistance is jointly
proportional with three factors ... (1) the number of ballots on which
candidate k is designated favorite, (2) the number of of ballots on which
candidate k is ranked ahead of candidate j, and (3) the number of ballots
on which j is designated as "anti-favorite."

It is this last factor of resistance that allows for candidate j to be
cloned in the context of current flowing out of j into k, just as the first
factor allows for k to be cloned in the context of current flowing into k
from j.

If j and k, respectively, are replaced by clone sets of cardinality #j and
#k, respectively, then the directional diode from j to k will be replaced
by #j*#k diodes whose combined resistance will be the same as the single
resistance described above for the diode from j to k.

Unfortunately, this last claim of combined resistance cannot be correct
because only in series (as opposed to parallel) is resistance additive.

Does anybody see how to rescue this approach?

Perhaps through conductance, which is additive in parallel ...

-Forest