[EM] Ideas for distance Schulze tie-breaking

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:38:18 PST 2022

I wrote this in a hurry ... the basic method should be called
MinMaxLeastTotalResistanceBeatPath.

The total resistance TR of a beatpath BP is the sum of its losing votes.

For each pair of candidates (j,k) let TLR(j,k) be the total resistance of
the beatpath of least resistance from j to k. Elect the candidate j that
minimizes the maximum value of TLR(j,k) as k varies over the other
candidates.

To get the de-cloned version, weight each losing vote by the number of
ballots on which the pairwise loser is designated favorite.

Any electrical engineer should be able to design an "electo-meter" network
that has, for each pair of candidates (j,k), a diode from node j to node k
that allows current to move from j to k with resistance jointly
proportional to the number of ballots on which k is ranked ahead of j and
the number of ballots on which k is designated favorite.

Elect the candidate j that minimizes the maximum network resistance from
node j to node k as k varies over the other nodes. [Put the source probe of
a directional ohm meter at j while varying the sink probe over the other
nodes (k).]

One of ypu engineers correct me if my EE terminology isn't quite right.

-Forest