[EM] Score Cover Sort

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 18:58:18 PDT 2022

It's not obvious that it is monotone, but in a real sense, it is simpler
than the Score Landau method whose monotonicity we have carefully verified:

Initialize variable X with the name of the candidate with the greatest
score. Then ...
While any candidate covers X,  store in variable X the name of the highest
score candidate that covers the most recent previous value of X.

The reason I have such hope for the new (card deck) version is that it is
simply Ranked Pairs where the defeat strength of (X defeats Y) is measured
(primarily) by whether or not X covers Y, and secondarily by the score of
the pairwise winner of the pair.

To complete this card deck version of Ranked Pairs ... after all of the
out-of-order coverings have been rectified the deck should be bubble sorted
to rectify any (remaining) out-of-order adjacent pairs with priority to the
pair whose winner has the highest score (among adjacent pairs still in need
of rectification).

The Landau efficient version of Ranked Pairs nearest to SPE (in our gradual
process of generalizing SPE to other agenda based methods) is to measure
defeat strength primarily by whether or not the pairwise winner covers the
pairwise Loser, and secondarily by how close the loser is to the
unfavorable end of the agenda.

This is most easily done by two consecutive sorts... the first to rectify
the covering defeats, and then the second sort ... a bubble sort to rectify
the out of order adjacent pairs giving priority to pairs whose losers are
closest to the unfavorable end of the agenda.Since this second sort will
not contradict any of the order reversals of the first sort, the final
winner is still uncovered.

Also in the first (strong) sort of this version, each (strong)rectification
is accomplished by moving the loser of the pair (i.e. the covered member)
next to the winner of the pair (the one that covers the loser) on the side
towards the unfavorable end of the agenda.

I'm hopeful that the monotonicity of ordinary RP will carry over to to this
new Landau generalization of SPE. Praying won't help, but let's try
crossing our fingers :-)

So far the only Banks efficient agenda method proven to be monotone is
Agenda Based Chain Climbing.  I still have hope for Adanced Placement Chain
Climbing but it is maddenly elusive as are various other Banks efficient
agenda methods.