[EM] Help me understand some notation

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 22:03:27 PST 2022

De-cloned Borda would go particularly well with de-cloned Copeland ... but
it is not necessary because one of the greatest advantages of de-cloning
Copeland is that it makes ties statistically rare: unlike standard Copeland
whose scores take on only integer values, de-cloned Copeland scores are
almost never integers.

And it would be a shame to help propose a clone dependent election method,
especially if there is a sufficiently simple clone free version.

Here's my first attempt at a greatly simplified version without sacrificing
its integrity:

Elect the candidate X that maximizes the number of its first place votes
minus the number of candidates that head-to-head defeat X, weighted by the
average of their first place votes.

In other words, the winner is the candidate X that maximizes the difference
between its own first place vote count and the total of the  first place
counts of the candidates that defeat X head-to-head.

An equivalent formulation that is more likely to yield a positive
difference is ...

Elect the candidate X that minimizes the score S(X), defined as the total
first place vote count of the candidates that pairwise defeat X, minus X's
own first place count.

The first formulation of this method most clearly shows its comparison with
the standard version of Copeland, but the last formulation is easiest to
work with.

Now let's prove monotonicity:

1. Raising X neither increases the number of candidates defeating X, nor
any of their first place votes. So raising X cannot increase S(X), unless
the first place votes of X decrease, which is not possible from raising X.

But could raising X decrease S(Y)?
If so it would either (1) have to decrease the number of candidates that
defeat Y, or (2)lower their total number of first place votes, or (3)
increase the number of first place votes of Y.

Let's look at the first possibility ... could raising X make Y defeat or
tie a candidate Z that defeated it before. Certainly not if Z=X. And if Z
!= X, then the relative pairwise count between Z and Y is not affected.

Saving the most difficult possibility for last, we consider (3) ... could
raising X, increase the first place count of Y. No, it could only decrease
Y's first place votes.

Lastly, (3) how about lowering the total number of first place votes among
the candidates that pairwise defeat Y?

If X replaces Z as first place on some ballot, then X's first place count
increases, (which decreases S(X)) while Z's first place count decreases,
possibly decreasing S(Y) by the same amount as S(X). This is no problem if
X defeats Y (because that would increase S(Y)), or if Z does not defeat Y,
because that would have no effect on S(Y).

The only problem is if S(Y) decreases by more than S(X) does.

The problematic case is where Z defeats Y (and Y defeats X). If Y defeats
X, then X contributes nothing to the total of first place votes of the
candidates defeating Y, so has no direct effect on S(Y) . But indirectly
decreasing  Z's first place votes by one, decreases S(Y) by one unit. This
decrease maintains the difference between S(X) and S(Y).

So the difference S(X)-S(Y) either does not change with the raising of X,
or decreases.

This fact shows that raising X does not change the winner from X to Y.

The method satisfies mono-raise!

(But check me on this!)