[EM] Help me understand some notation

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 11:44:38 PST 2022

In the case of a three candidate Smith set, the simplest way to get the
Smih,X winner is to use X finish order as the (reverse) agenda for SPE
(Sequential Pairwise Elimination): start at the least promising end of the
agenda (i.e. the last candidate in the finish order) and make one pass of
Bubble Sort. The candidate who ends up on top is the highest Smith
candidate (provided cardinality(Smith)=3).

The beauty of this is its seamless-ness ... no need to even construct or
even mention Smith.

Another Seamless (but not as simple) way is Agenda Based Landau applied to
the same finish order:

Initialize a variable w as the highest finish order candidate. Then ...

While w is covered, let t be the highest finish order candidate that covers
w. Store t in w: (t---->w).

The final value of w is the candidate we want.