[EM] Quick and Clean Burial Resistant Smith

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 21:15:00 PST 2022

Ted,

We may need a different example ... let's go through this one slowly and
carefully ...
46: A > B
44: B > C   (sincere B or B > A)
05: C > A
05: C > B

A gets 46+5=51 basic points from the first and third factions, resp.

B gets 46+44+5=95 points from the first, second, and fourth factions, resp.

C gets 44+5+5=54 points from the last three factions.

If this is right, A has the lowest score, and C wins as the only candidate
pairwise undefeated by A.

I don't doubt that this method could fail Chicken Defense, but it would
have to be a marginal failure that the attacked faction could easily
counter with a partial counter defection.

For a range of examples let's look at

p: C
q: A>B
r: B (sincere B>A)

Where r+q>p>q>r

A beats B because q>r
B beats C because r+q>p
C beats A because p>q

The respective basic scores for A, B, & C are q, p+q, & p.

The lowest of these is q which is A's score. So C wins, as the only
candidate pairwise undefeated by A.

So the method robustly punishes Chicken defection over a range of standard
examples.

Not bad for Quick and Dirty/Clean!

El mié., 5 de ene. de 2022 1:52 p. m., Ted Stern <dodecatheon at gmail.com>
escribió:

> Hi Forest,
>
> Unfortunately, your new method does not handle Chicken-Dilemma types of
> burial, which I am interested in. See for example Chris Benham's example:
>
> 46: A > B
> 44: B > C   (sincere B or B > A)
> 05: C > A
> 05: C > B
>
> A is sincere CW. If B buries A, there is an A > B > C > A cycle. C or B
> are both lowest basic score. If C is taken as lower, then C defeats A and B
> wins, rewarding burial.
>
> With approval cutoff at second rank, even Smith//Approval does better.
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 7:25 PM Forest Simmons <forest.simmons21 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Ted,
>>
>> Thanks for providing a great example that illustrates how the burial
>> defense works.
>>
>> I agree that it's probably better, especially when there are many
>> candidates, to eliminate the non-Smith candidates before counting the basic
>> scores.
>>
>> In the case of public elections for political office we expect the Smith
>> set to be small ... usually a singleton, and occasionally a triplet ...
>> unless factions think they can get away with burial!
>>
>> In general, I like ratings information (as in your version of Approval
>> Sorted Margins) better than rankings ... the Q&C and Q&D methods were
>> created to see what a minimal acceptable rankings based burial resistant
>> method would look like.
>>
>> With ratings and lots of candidates I would go back to Range Based (or
>> Total Approval) Chain Climbing for a burial resistant method:
>>
>> While there is no pairwise undefeated candidate among the remaining
>> candidates ... eliminate from the remaining candidates all of those that do
>> not pairwise defeat the remaining candidate X that has the lowest Range
>> score (or alternately .. lowest below midrange approval score ... with or
>> without renormalization as candidates are eliminated).
>>
>> In the case of a three candidate Smith Set this method first eats away
>> all of the non-Smith candidates ... then the lowest score Smith candidate X
>> (the one that got buried) and finally Y, the one responsible for burying X,
>> leaving Z, the one not beaten by X, (i.e. the one that Y buried Z under) as
>> the sole survivor... someone not preferred over X by Y.
>>
>> It would be interesting to see how this method works on Colin Champion's
>> five candidate example... especially to see if the renormalizations are
>> worth the trouble ... and if perhaps the below midrange approval scores (or
>> the ASM approval scores) work better than range scores.
>>
>> That's a lot of work! Do you have any students that need a project?
>>
>> My best,
>>
>> Forest
>>

>> El mar., 4 de ene. de 2022 3:23 p. m., Ted Stern <dodecatheon at gmail.com>
>> escribió:
>>
>>> Your Q&CBRS works well in a situation in which Approval Sorted Margins
> [...]
>>> 1:  B > D > E > C > A
>>> 5:  C > A > D > B > E
>>> 1:  D > A > C > B > E
>>> 1:  D > C > B > A > E
>>> 2:  E > B > D > C > A
>>>
>>> D is the beats-all Condorcet voter.
>>>
>>> 5 C-first voters bury D:
>>>
>>> 1:  B > D > A > E > C
>>> 1:  B > D > E > C > A
>>> 5:  C > A > B > E > D    # Was C > A > D > B > E
>>> 1:  D > A > C > B > E
>>> 1:  D > C > B > A > E
>>> 2:  E > B > D > C > A
>>>
>>> Pairwise array: