[EM] Quick and Clean Burial Resistant Smith

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 14:51:18 PST 2022

Hi Forest,

thanks for correcting my error. I agree that B is not able to successfully
win this chicken dilemma scenario by defecting and using burial.

Overall, this has the flavor of a Smith//Approval variant, replacing
Approval with "Highest implicitly approved [Smith] candidate [HIASC]
defeating lowest implicitly approved Smith candidate [LIASC]".

To flesh it out, I'd like more details on the following:

   - What is the motivation/rationale for excluding Smith candidates that
   tie or are defeated by the LIASC? What makes the HIASC "better"? In the
   most recent example, it is not clear to me that C is better than A, and
   letting C win is merely supposed to provide motivation for B voters to not
   defect and bury.
   - What happens in the event of ties in lowest implicit approval among
   Smith Candidates?
   - Are there other tie situations to handle?

Other examples:
-----------------
(Due to Chris Benham)

25 A>B
26 B>C
23 C>A
26 C

Basic scores:
A: 49, B: 51, C:75

A lowest basic score (implicit approval / above bottom) and defeats B;

C > A, therefore C wins Q&CBRS

C is the most top ranked and the most above-bottom ranked candidate.

WV, MMPO,  IRV, Benham elect B
-----------------

35 A
10 A=B
30 B>C
25 C

Basic scores: A:45, B40, C55. B is lowest basic score.
C55 > A45, A35>B30, B40>C25
C is defeated by B. A is remaining candidate defeating B, thus wins Q&CBRS.

A both pairwise-beats and positionally dominates B, but WV, Margins,
MMPO all elect B.

This is somewhat encouraging, however, I'd still like to get better
motivation for the earlier example as in the bullet point questions
above.