[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 207, Issue 29, Debates about MJ

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 17:40:18 PDT 2021

Steve,

Kristopher is right ... just brainstorming to explore the possibilities
.... how close can we get to compliance with IIAC, Majority Criterion,
Clone Free, Mono-Raise, Mono-Add, FBC, etc.

Later, we will pare it down and fluff it up to a simple, attractive, user
friendly format like MJ's current incarnation.

The main reason that MJ is not compliant with Reverse Symmetry is that its
designers could not come up with a  good symmetrical rule for breaking
ties... theirs is a pretty good rule, if you don't care about symmetry  ...
and accommodating symmetry as much as possible is not easy .... you cannot
blame them for settling on something suboptimal.

If you want to help, work on generic verbal descriptions of four distinct
levels of evil and four distinct levels of good ...
short, pithy, memorable phrases that encapsulate the qualities of bad and
good candidates ... something like "incompetent and corrupt," on one end of
the spectrum, and "honest and wise" on the other. Don't be afraid of using
judgmental words ... after all, we're talking "Majority Judgment." But
avoid inflammatory words ... corrupt is borderline inflammatory, so find a
better word!

When you have perfected an eight level symmetrical scale for human
alternatives, start working on a generic scale for inanimate choices that
must be voted on ...  say from "beastly" to "droll" ... I know you can do
better than that!