[EM] Good As L

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 13:12:45 PDT 2021

With ratings we judged "Good As L" by the ballot expectation under the
lottery L.

With rankings we might be tempted to base GAL on expected rank numbers...
but that would be a huge mistake ... a repeat of the classic mistake of
Borda ... treating rankings as interchangeable with ratings ... thereby
losing clone independence.

The way that has the best chance of yielding positive results is to mark
alternative X as GAL ("Good as L") iff it is more likely that L will pick
an alternative ranked below (behind) X than one ranked above (before) X.

For each alternative X, let  GAL(X) be the percentage of ballots on which X
is marked GAL. Then for each ballot beta, let c(beta) be the "chosen"
alternative X, among those marked GAL on beta, with the greatest value of
GAL(X)*beta(X), where beta(X) is one or 1/2, respectively depending on
whether or not X is ranked (Equal)Top.

Finally, let L'(X) be the percentage of ballots beta such that c(beta) = X.

How about the "weakly better" relation on lotteries in this ranking context?

In the ratings context we made use of dot products to define this relation,
an expedient that is unavailable in the context of mere rankings...

Let's say that L' is weakly better than L as far as ballot beta is
concerned if the set of alternatives marked as GAL' on ballot beta contains
the set marked as GAL.

If this is true for all beta, and strict containment holds for at least one
beta, then L' is weakly better than L.

In our next message we talk more about entropy....  (TO BE CONT'D)

Forest