[EM] Good As L

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 13:51:49 PDT 2021

Before the promised continuation .. first a correction on the "weakly
better " relation on lotteries in the rankings context... I got the
containment backwards ... in general a voter V prefers L' over L if  L'
gives more probability (than does L) to V's higher ranked alternatives than
to V's lower ranked alternatives , which tends to raise the GAL' cutoff
above the GAL cutoff ... so the set of alternatives marked GAL will contain
the set marked GAL', the reverse of what I mistakenly said in my previous
message.

El mar., 5 de oct. de 2021 1:12 p. m., Forest Simmons <
forest.simmons21 at gmail.com> escribió:

> With ratings we judged "Good As L" by the ballot expectation under the
> lottery L.
>
> With rankings we might be tempted to base GAL on expected rank numbers...
> but that would be a huge mistake ... a repeat of the classic mistake of
> Borda ... treating rankings as interchangeable with ratings ... thereby
> losing clone independence.
>
> The way that has the best chance of yielding positive results is to mark
> alternative X as GAL ("Good as L") iff it is more likely that L will pick
> an alternative ranked below (behind) X than one ranked above (before) X.
>
> For each alternative X, let  GAL(X) be the percentage of ballots on which
> X is marked GAL. Then for each ballot beta, let c(beta) be the "chosen"
> alternative X, among those marked GAL on beta, with the greatest value of
> GAL(X)*beta(X), where beta(X) is one or 1/2, respectively depending on
> whether or not X is ranked (Equal)Top.
>
> Finally, let L'(X) be the percentage of ballots beta such that c(beta) = X.
>
> How about the "weakly better" relation on lotteries in this ranking
> context?
>
> In the ratings context we made use of dot products to define this
> relation, an expedient that is unavailable in the context of mere
> rankings...
>
> Let's say that L' is weakly better than L as far as ballot beta is
> concerned if the set of alternatives marked as GAL' on ballot beta contains
> the set marked as GAL.

*** CORRECTION ... Should be...