[EM] robla's weekly hangout: 2pm-4pm PDT/PST on Tuesdays

Rob Lanphier roblan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 13:09:41 PST 2021

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 3:12 PM Rob Lanphier <roblan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've started having a weekly video hangout every Tuesday from 2pm PDT
> until 4pm PDT (i.e. right now!).  After the United States switches off
> Standard Time (this upcoming weekend) then it will switch to every
> Tuesday from 2pm PST until 4pm PST (it's just the PDT->PST change
> that's coming up).  I'll send the full details about the video
> technology I'm using (Whereby) to anyone who sends me a private email,
> though it's not that hard to figure out how to crash the party.
>
> I hope to see at least one of all y'all before the end of the year.

I've camped out at <https://whereby.com/robla> on Tuesday afternoons
my time since the end of October.  I think my biggest problem is that
I've been too worried to promote the URL.  I'm going to see what
happens when I post it to this mailing list.

During yesterday's Whereby discussion, a couple of us were able to
teach a former work colleague of mine about Yee diagrams:
https://electowiki.org/wiki/Yee_diagram

That work colleague skimmed the webpage that Yee still hosts (here:
<http://zesty.ca/voting/sim/>) and instantly understood the
implications.  The discussion over on the electionscience.org's
Discord server (here: <https://electionscience.org/discord>) quickly
got lost in the weeds about how two dimensions are not enough to
perfectly model an electorate.  Of course, two dimensions are not
enough to perfectly model the planet Earth, but road maps (even
Mercator projections) are incredibly useful tools for traveling.  I
suspect that Yee diagrams are going to be useful for persuading people
that appreciate road maps.

Anyway, I hope to see more people next Tuesday (starting November 16
at 2pm PST).  For those of you in Europe, that's apparently 22:00 UTC:
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20211116T220000&p1=224&p2=1440&p3=136&p4=37&p5=179>

I'm hoping to see some of you on <https://whereby.com/robla> this
coming Tuesday at 2pm PST.

Rob