[EM] robla's weekly hangout: 2pm-4pm PDT/PST on Tuesdays

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 21:22:09 PST 2021

Yee Diagrams of IRV in three and more dimensions retain all of the 2 dim
bizarre features ... fragmented win regions with holes, candidates exterior
to their own win regions, etc, because each 2 dim example can be
isometrically embedded in any symmetrical higher dimensional multivariate
normal distribution.

By contrast in every dimension the win regions for every Condorcet method
are the Dirichlet/Voronoi regions centered on the respective candidates
because for every centrally symmetric distribution the candidate closest to
the center of symmetry is the Condorcet Winner for that distribution.

Remember how we used to always say that in one dimension the Condorcet
candidate is always the first choice of the median voter?

In this context we can say the Condorcet candidate is always the first
choice of the voter at the center of symmetry.

If you take any horrible method and modify the front end to elect the CW if
there is one, suddenly it gets the same Yee diagrams as Ranked Pairs,
River, CSSD, Black, Copeland, etc. because every Yee diagram voter
distribution has a CW, namely the candidate nearest the center of symmetry
of that multivariate normal distribution.

If people interested in voting methods reform would take the time to digest
these basic facts about Yee diagrams ... and then believe their own eyes
.... they would never accept any "ranked choice voting" method unless it
satisfied the Condorcet Criterion ... even if it had to be grafted with
duct-tape and baling wire onto the front end of the proposed method ....
but how much better if incorporated seamlessly!

Pretty easy fix ... lots of bang for the nickel!