[EM] Agenda Based Banks

Susan Simmons suzerainsimmons at outlook.com
Mon Aug 2 12:31:35 PDT 2021

It turns out that this method as it stands is not monotonic, but if you omit the downward part, then the remaining simpler version is monotonic:

First initialize a set named "TheBank" with the most promising agenda item.

Then, as long as even one agenda item pairwise beats every member ofTheBank, deposit the least promising of these into TheBank.

Elect the final deposit.

This simple Banks compliant method is a generalization of TACC (Total Approval Chain Climbing).

The only thing I don't like about it is that even when the most promising agenda item is in the Banks set, as likely as not it will elect a different member of that set. My tweak was designed to overcome that "defect" while preserving Banks efficiency. But it's not worth the loss of monotonicity.

Furthermore, it may turn out that the supposed "defect" actually confers burial resistance ... for example ...

45 A>B (sincere A>C)
25 B>C
30 C>A

Ballot pairwise beat cycle: A>B>C>A

Agenda: C<B<A
(based on implicit approval, for example)

TheBank deposits are C, then B... so B wins.... the A faction burial of C backfires by getting its least favorite B elected!

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android Device