[EM] (no subject)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun Nov 29 09:52:26 PST 2020

On 28/11/2020 14.11, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Here's a very interesting question over on the /r/EndFPTP subreddit:
>
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/EndFPTP/comments/k27f5c/what_do_countries_with_3rd_party_viability_have/>
>
> Here's what /u/9d47cf1f had to ask:
>
>> What do countries with 3rd party viability have in common?
>>
>> I suspect that MMP is a better predictor for 3rd party viability than other
>> factors and I’m looking for a list of modern democracies by voting method &
>> 3rd party viability to test that hypothesis but I’m finding that to be a
>> frustratingly difficult Google search. Does anyone know where such a list
>> could be found?
>
> The question from "9d47cf1f" made it clear that those of us that have
> wiki skills need to fix up these two articles:
>
> * <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMP>
> * <https://electowiki.org/wiki/MMP>

What he's saying seems wrong. There are lots of continental European
countries that use party list (not MMP) and have many parties. There
were also lots of parties in STV-era New York.

So I'm not sure how MMP could be a better predictor than, say, going
from single-member district Plurality to party list.