[EM] (no subject)

Bob Richard (lists) lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Sun Nov 29 10:13:47 PST 2020

The expert on the question of what determines the number of political
parties is the political scientist Matthew Shugart (
http://fruitsandvotes.wordpress.com ). According to him, the single best
predictor is district magnitude, rather than the specific form of
proportional representation. Since STV is usually used with fewer seats
per district than list PR, it might well be associated (statistically at
least) with fewer parties. But I doubt that there is any significant
difference between MMP and party list.

I'll have to look through Shugart's books to determine whether he has
tried to quantify differences among list PR, MMP and STV. I know that he
has the data set for this analysis.

--Bob Richard