[EM] re Burlington

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Thu May 30 23:39:45 PDT 2019

> It is easiest to understand this if all voters truncate, effectively equal-ranking all but one bottom.

I guess Condorcet and most methods resemble plurality if voters so want. In most methods they can just bullet vote and leave the rest of the information out.

> In traditional voting, before modern elections, no decision was made unless a majority supported it.

One could try to reach majority by making voting mandatory. Or if majority of those that vote is enough, then one could make filling the ballot paper appropriately mandatory. This covers both the first round and the runoff.

How abut trying to solve this problem in Condorcet by introducing a "status quo" candidate in the election? If that candidate wins, then the election is declared inconclusive. Or alternatively people have decided to keep the status quo. If needed, one could arrange a second round where people would know better which candidates to rank.

One interesting question here is, what is the default position of the "status quo" candidate. It could be shared last, as with other candidates, but one could also think it would be "lonely last" behind others, or first position.

Juho

P.S. I wonder also if there would be need for a second additional candidate. That threshold could be e.g. "no way worse than this, I'm serious about keeping the status quo" :-). Candidates that lose to that threshold could e.g. be excluded from the second round (if "status quo" won the first round).