[EM] re Burlington

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu May 30 16:01:41 PDT 2019

Nearly all voters can vote against a candidate, be unwilling to accept
that candidate as a winner, and the candidate can still be a Cordorcet
winner. This becomes more possible as the candidate set enlarges.

It is easiest to understand this if all voters truncate, effectively
equal-ranking all but one bottom.

Simple example: two voters prefer a single candidate over all others.
All other voters are divided, voting only to prefer their own favorite,
each one different. So in every pairwise race, the candidate wins.
Condorcet is an interesting criterion, but is far from the whole of what
is desirable.

In traditional voting, before modern elections, no decision was made
unless a majority supported it. Plurality elections discarded that
principle in the interest of efficiency, which I have been pointing out
is fascist. If a Condorcet method tests approval of results, and
requires a majority approving to complete the election, it can avoid the
problem, but at the risk of failing to complete. It has been common to
accept the need for "runoff elections." That could be drastically
improved by using advanced election methods for both elections, and
using much more intelligent methods of selecting candidates for a
runoff. With advanced methods, a Condorcet winner in the primary would
always advance to the runoff and the issue would be the other one or
two. And then, again, having approval indication, what should happen if
no candidate gains majority approval in the runoff? I classic democracy,
they simply kept on voting until they had majority approval of an outcome.