[EM] re Burlington

Bob Richard lists001 at robertjrichard.com
Wed May 22 10:06:34 PDT 2019

On 5/22/2019 9:34 AM, Chris Benham wrote:

> It still boggles my mind that anyone would think it appropriate to not
> allow voters to strictly rank
> as many candidates as they wish.

An explanation is in order for list members outside the United States.
Essentially all ballots here are processed using optical scan and/or
touchscreen voting machines. Limitations on the number of candidates the
voter can rank are the direct result of the antiquated voting machines
still in use. Accepting these limitations has been a necessary price of
getting any ranked ballot method adopted anywhere in the U.S. No one
thinks they are a good idea, except some opponents of reform who argue
for a limited number of rankings as a kind of rear-guard resistance to
the reform itself.

The voting machine situation is improving, but is still not perfect.
Current systems from the three main vendors can accommodate about 20, 10
and 6 rankings respectively. Six will become 10 as soon as that vendor's
software can print and scan landscape ballots.

Practical reformers take the understandable position that the perfect
should not be allowed to be the enemy of the good.

--Bob Richard