[EM] High Resolution Inferred Approval version of ASM

John john.r.moser at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 05:23:43 PDT 2019

Voters can't readily provide meaningful information as score voting. It's
highly-strategic and the comparison of cardinal values is not natural.

All valuation is ordinal.  Prices are based from cost; but what people WILL
pay, given no option to pay less, is based on ordinal comparison.

Is X worth 2 Y?

For the $1,000 iPhone I could have a OnePlus 6t and a Chromebook. The
6t...I can get a cheaper smartphone, but I prefer the 6t to that phone plus
whatever else I buy.

I have a higher paying job, so each dollar is worth fewer hours, so the
ordinal value of a dollar to me is lower.  $600 of my dollars is fewer
hours than $600 minimum wage dollars.  I have access to my most-preferred
purchases and can buy way down into my less-preferred purchases.

Information about this is difficult to pin down by voter.  Prices in the
stock market set by a constant, public auction among millions of buyers and
sellers.  A single buyer can hardly price one stock against another, and
prices against what they think their gains will be relative to current
price.

When pricing candidates, you'll see a lot like Mohs hardness: 2 is 200, 3
is 500, 4 is 1,500; but we label things that are 250 or 450 as 2.5,
likewise between 500 and 1,500 is 3.5.  Being between X and Y is always
immediately HALFWAY between X and Y, most intuitively.

The rated system sucks even before you factor in strategic concerns (which
only matter if actually using a score-driven method).

Approval is just low-resolution (1 bit) score voting.