[EM] High Resolution Inferred Approval version of ASM

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Thu Jun 20 21:01:03 PDT 2019

Forest,

With paper and pencil ballots and the voters only writing in their
numerical scores it probably isn't very practical for the Australian
Electoral Commission
hand vote-counters.

But if it isn't compulsory to mark each candidate and the default score
is zero, I'm sure the voters could quickly adapt.

In the US I gather that there is at least one reform proposal to use
these type of ballots. One of these, "Score Voting" aka "Range Voting",
proposes to just use Average Ratings with I gather the default score
being "no opinion"  rather than zero and some tweak to prevent an unknown
candidate from winning.

So it struck me that if we can collect such a large amount of detailed
information from the voters then we could do a lot more with it, and if we
want something that meets the Condorcet criterion this is my suggestion.

Chris Benham

https://rangevoting.org/

On 21/06/2019 5:33 am, Forest Simmons wrote:
> Chris, I like it especially the part about naive voters voting
> sincerely being at no appreciable disadvantage while resisting burial
> and complying with  the CD criterion.
>
> From your experience in Australia where full rankings are required (as
> I understand it) what do you think about the practicality of rating on
> a scale of zero to 99, as compared with ranking a long list of
> candidates?  Is it a big obstacle?

---
https://www.avg.com