[EM] A New Multi-winner (PR) Method

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Apr 11 13:53:19 PDT 2019

One thing I forgot: as each ballot is added to a candidate's pile, it must
be scaled by the favorability of the ballot to that candidate. That reduces
the max total for each pile from ten thousand

[messages referred to]

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. A New Multi-winner (PR) Method (Forest Simmons)
>    2. Re: A New Multi-winner (PR) Method (Abd ul-Rahman Lomax)

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 14:08:37 -0700
> From: Forest Simmons <fsimmons at pcc.edu>
> To: EM <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>
> Subject: [EM] A New Multi-winner (PR) Method
>
> As near as I know the following PR method based on Range/Score style
> ballots is new.
>
> This method is based on maximizing a measure of "goodness" of
> representation to be specified later.  Slates of candidates are nominated
> individually for consideration, because in general there are too many
> possible slates to consider every one of them (due to combinatorial
> explosion).  Among the nominated slates, the one with the best measure of
> "goodness" of PR is elected.
>
> To reduce the abstraction, suppose that there are only 100 candidates and
> that only five vacancies to be filled.   Suppose further, that there are
> ten thousand ballots (one for each of ten thousand voters).
>
> Given a subset S of five candidates, we decide how good it is as follows:
>
> Order the set S according to their Range totals, so that the highest to
> lowest score order is c1, c2, ...c5.  This order only comes into play to
> determine the cyclic order of play as the candidates "choose up teams" so
> to speak.
>
> Ballots are assigned to each of the candidates cyclically so that the
> ballot most favorable to c1 goes to c1's pile, of the remaining, the one
> most favorable to c2, goes to c2's pile, etc. like the way we used to
> choose teams when we were in grade school.
>
> (Eventually we'll get to how to automate judgment of favorability.  Be
> patient)
>
> After 2000 times around the circle, each pile will contain exactly 2000
> ballots. (Thanks for your patience.)
>
> For our purposes the relative favorability of ballot V for candidate C is
> the probability that V would elect C if it were drawn in a lottery; i.e.
> V's rating of C divided by the sum of all of V's ratings for the candidates
> in S including C.
>
> What happens when one of more of the candidates is not shown any
> favorability by any of the remaining ballots?  The other candidates
> continue augmenting their piles until they reach their quotas (two thousand
> each in this case), and the remaining ballots are assigned by comparing
> them to the official public ballots of the candidates whose piles are not
> yet complete. (We won't worry about the details of that for now.)
>
> For each candidate C in S add up all of the ratings over all of the ballots
> in the pile, but not the ratings for candidates outside of S.  Divide this
> number by the total possible, which in this case is two thousand times five
> or ten thousand.

Because of the scaling by favorability, the max possible total is only two
thousand, not ten thousand.