[EM] A New Multi-winner (PR) Method

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Apr 10 15:30:26 PDT 2019

I continue to be amazed that someone like Forest Simmons, who was an
early writer about what later was called Asset Voting, as named by
Warren Smith, and was simply a tweak on STV when invented by Charles
Dodgson in the 1880s, which can produce *perfect* representation,
beyond  mere "proportional representation," still works on complex
single ballot deterministic methods that must compromise and prevent
true /chosen/ representation in favor of some sort of theory of
"optimised goodness."

Asset Voting can very simply produce unanimous election of seats, where
the seat represents a quota of voters who have */unanimously/*
consented, directly or, probably much more commonly in large-scale
elections, through chosen "electors," I call them, who becomes a proxy
for the anonymous voters, for the election of the seat. Asset allows the
electors --- those who become public voters -- to cooperate and
collaborate for the selection of seats.

The "Electoral College," fully and accurately, represents *all* the
voters. But it might be very large, possibly too large to even meet
directly. But all that is needed is a way for electors to communicate
and to register their vote assignments for the creation of seats. They
could use delegable proxy to advise them how to transfer.

Asset was actually tried once, and it produced a result that most would
have considered impossible. 17 voters, five candidates for a three-seat
steering committee. A rather sharp division, but the final result was
the election of the three seats *with every vote represented directly or
by proxy*. Before the third seat was elected, nevertheless two seats
were elected, so the steering committee, if needed, could have made any
decision by unanimous vote (two agreeing) through the representation of
two-thirds of the electorate. It could, in theory, have decided to elect
the third seat by using the Droop quota. (the quota had not actually
been specified, and the one who called the election and created the
process was not totally sophisticated on Asset, which does not need to
specify an election deadline, it can, instead, leave that last seat or
seats open, and consider the rest of the electorate as Robert's rules
considers unrecognizable ballots: they count for determining "majority"
but not as a vote for or against any candidate.

So, say, there is a jurisdiction with a million voters. It is decided
that an optimal assembly would be 49, so the basis for a quota could be
50, and thus the quota would be 2% of the votes cast. This allows that
if all electors assign their votes in exact measure to seats, 50 seats
could be elected, but that outcome is improbable. (But if it happens,
whoopee!), so, normally, 49 seats might be elected. Instead of electing
the last seat by plurality, depending on some deadline for vote
assignments, I have suggesting leaving the election open. Further, those
electors could be consulted by the Assembly. This is the power of having
public voters who, collectively, represent the entire electorate.

Unanimous election of seats. Bayesian regret, zero. No losers. Minimal
damage to the dregs. No expensive or extensive campaigning necessary. (I
expect that the tradition would develop rapidly that one would only vote
for people one could meet face-to-face, because how else can they truly
represent? But this would be voluntary, not coerced. Basically, anyone
who registers as an elector may participate further, the only
requirement being a willingness to vote publicly (which is already
required of elected representatives!)

The U.S. Electoral College was a brilliant invention, knee-capped by the
party system. It did not, however, represent the people, but
jurisdictions, specifically states. It could have been reformed to
represent the people, but it went, instead, toward representing the
party majority in each state, in effect, becoming a rubber stamp and
creating warped results.

Asset is simple, close to tradition, but actually revolutionary, a
dramatic shift from the entire concept of "elections" as contests. The
voters would be 100% represented in the College, though voluntary
choices, no need to consider "electability," hence no need for "voting
strategy." Choose the available person, from a large universe, you most
trust. As Dodgson noticed, that was relatively easy for ordinary voters,
much easier than sensibly ranking many candidates. That complexity is
completely unnecessary with Asset. No votes are wasted.

The only tweak I see as needed involves making it difficult to coerce
votes, by making it impossible to know that a specific person did *not*
vote for one. This would not be needed for small NGO elections. In
public elections, I'd have a set of known candidates who received
substantial votes in a prior election, or something like that, and when
electors register, they would assign their own vote to another
candidate. If they receive less than N votes, their vote would be
transferred as directed. If they receive N votes, they become an
elector. Electors would not vote in the election, so, if they receive N
votes, they get their own declared vote back and so they have N+1 votes
to transfer. N should be the minimum size necessary to ensure that they
cannot know that a specific person did not vote for them. If they do not
receive N votes, their received votes are privately added to the total
for the candidate they chose when registering. So N might be two, but if
it is a bit higher, it could provide increased security. 3 might be
completely adequate, together with it being very illegal to coerce votes.

*No more original content below.*