[EM] A few papers on election science I'd like to point out to y'all

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Mon Feb 5 13:21:23 PST 2018

Have not noticed any theoretcal advantages, tho not familiar with
Bucklin. As mentioned before, Laplace decided in favor of election
counting the relative importance of preferences, which is why he favored
Borda to Condorcet. (It doesn't look like Bucklin does that, beyond
co-opting a Borda count.) Since then Gregory method has improved on
Borda. And actually the Meek method keep value is a further conceptual
improvement. I have an interest to declare there, because have extended
the use of the keep value, in a Binomial STV, and to which I recently
made a couple of up-dates. So it's considerably changed (complexified!)
from the example I did for Kristofer: now it is: Four Averages Binomial
Single Transferable Vote (FAB STV).

Next day (brushing aside the cobwebs): It occurs to me that by
"theoretically superior," you may be refering to Bucklin uniformity of
method for single and multiple vacancies. If so, Binomial STV (STV^) has
that covered, because  it is a progression from Meek method, extending
the use of keep values, to conduct counts for single vacancies the same
way as multiple vacancies, as Gregory method could not, nor indeed Meek
method itself, from where it left off.

For theorists, who seek general explanations, STV^ fulfills the
requirement of a consistent treatment of both single and multiple vacancies.

The scientific significance of this is that STV^ brings a more powerful
scale of measurement to single vacancies. However single vacancies are
(much) less desirable both from a democratic and a mensural view-point,
lacking "Proportional Representation. The key to democracy." (As the
Hoag and Hallett classic is titled.)

Following Google notation for "to the power of", which is the
circumflex, ^, then notation for Binomial STV is: STV^. The binomial
theorem expands by powers, and this expansion is the (non-commutative)
guide for systematic STV recounts.

Traditional (uninomial) STV is STV^0 (zero order STV -- like your
start-up Meccano set 0, which this child never got beyond!).
First order Binomial STV is STV^1. (Basic combination of preference
election count and reverse preference or unpreference exclusion count)
Second order is STV^2, and so on. (Recounts based on systematic
qualifications of the previous order results.)

   from
Richard Lung.

--
Richard Lung.
http://www.voting.ukscientists.com
Democracy Science series 3 free e-books in pdf:
https://plus.google.com/106191200795605365085
E-books in epub format:
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/democracyscience

---