[EM] A few papers on election science I'd like to point out to y'all

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sun Feb 4 15:04:33 PST 2018

BTV "known on this list for some time now as a superior option to STV."
Other systems, including BTV are not so regarded by organisations, like
the PRSA and Electoral Reform Society for well over a century. Not to
mention Fair Votes USA.

Richard Lung.

On 04/02/2018 19:18, Jameson Quinn wrote:
> Yes, I believe that many of these references refer to what is
> essentially BTV, which has been known on this list for some time now
> as a superior option to STV. I'm happy that it's now in the
> literature, and don't really care about naming/precedence.
>
> It's my experience that many prop-rep voting methods can be expressed
> in terms of an STV backend. PLACE, Dual Member Proportional, many MMP
> variants, etc. can all be seen as just adding options (such as
> overlapping seats for MMP and DMP, biproportionality for DMP and
> PLACE, and partial delegation for PLACE) on top of STV. You could
> therefore create new versions of all of the above by replacing STV
> with BTV. I think this would be a small step up — but not worth the
> additional difficulty of explanation, in a world that's more used to STV.

> <km_elmet at t-online.de <mailto:km_elmet at t-online.de>>:
>
>     On 01/29/2018 02:43 PM, Arthur Wist wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         Sorry in advanced for the huge load of information all at
>         once, but I think you'll highly likely find the following
>         quite interesting:
>
>         On how people misunderstood the Duggan-Schwartz theorem:
>         https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.07105
>         <https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.07105> - Two statements of the
>         Duggan-Schwartz theorem
>         https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.07102
>         <https://arxiv.org/abs/1611.07102> -  Manipulability of
>         consular election rules
>
>         EVERYTHING here:
>         https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ssb0yjUAAAAJ&sortby=pubdate
>         <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ssb0yjUAAAAJ&sortby=pubdate>
>
>         Some key highlights from that last link above:
>
>         https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.07580
>         <https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.07580> - Achieving Proportional
>         Representation via Voting [ On which a blog post exists:
>         https://medium.com/@haris.aziz/achieving-proportional-representation-2d741871e78
>         <https://medium.com/@haris.aziz/achieving-proportional-representation-2d741871e78>.
>         Better than STV and STV derivatives in all criteria? You decide! ]
>

>     >From a cursory look at the latter, that looks like Bucklin with a
>     STV-style elect-and-reweight system. I wrote some posts about a
>     vote-management resistant version of Bucklin at
>     http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2016-December/001234.html
>     <http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2016-December/001234.html>
>     and
>     http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2017-September/001584.html
>     <http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2017-September/001584.html>,
>     and found out that the simplest way of breaking a tie when more
>     than one candidate exceeds a Droop quota is nonmonotonic.
>
>     The simplest tiebreak is that when there are multiple candidates
>     with more than a quota's worth of votes (up to the rank you're
> [...]

Richard Lung.
http://www.voting.ukscientists.com
Democracy Science series 3 free e-books in pdf:
https://plus.google.com/106191200795605365085
E-books in epub format:
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/democracyscience

---