[EM] A few papers on election science I'd like to point out to y'all

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 11:18:16 PST 2018

Yes, I believe that many of these references refer to what is essentially
BTV, which has been known on this list for some time now as a superior
option to STV. I'm happy that it's now in the literature, and don't really
care about naming/precedence.

It's my experience that many prop-rep voting methods can be expressed in
terms of an STV backend. PLACE, Dual Member Proportional, many MMP
variants, etc. can all be seen as just adding options (such as overlapping
seats for MMP and DMP, biproportionality for DMP and PLACE, and partial
delegation for PLACE) on top of STV. You could therefore create new
versions of all of the above by replacing STV with BTV. I think this would
be a small step up — but not worth the additional difficulty of
explanation, in a world that's more used to STV.