[EM] The election methods trade-off paradox/impossibility theorems paradox.

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Thu Jun 22 13:31:19 PDT 2017

Compared to a rankings ballot, a ratings ballot contains more information
about a voter's preference or utility for the available choices.
I can say
A > B > C > D
or I can say with more detail
A = 1.0; B = 0.9; C = 0.1; D = 0.0

If there is more information available, it is possible for an election
algorithm to use that information and more accurately represent the voters
and find the greater global utility winner.

If we had a specially insightful rational bayesian voting populace we might
ask them for their confidence interval of how sure they are are about each
choice and get more information still.
A = 1.0 (e=.3); B = 0.9 (e=.1), C = 0.1 (e=0.5), D = 0.0 (e=0.1)

And then we'd work out an election algorithm to maximize the expected value
of the global utility over the known voter utility distributions.