[EM] Resume: Proportional multi-winner ranked voting methods -

VoteFair electionmethods at votefair.org
Sat Jun 3 22:07:44 PDT 2017

Alas, vote-counting methods that are easy to explain tend to be
simplistic.  In contrast, fairer vote-counting methods tend to be more
difficult to explain.  This applies to multi-winner methods as well as
single-winner methods.

In the world of single-winner methods, the classic example is that
instant-runoff voting is easy to explain, but produces less-fair results
compared to pairwise-counting (Condorcet) methods, which are more
difficult to explain.

As for "examples of condorcet multi winner variants being used in real
life," it's difficult to find real-use examples of multi-winner methods
of any kind that use more than single-mark ballots.

Expressed another way, the switch from single-mark ballots to multi-mark
ballots (approval, 1-2-3, or score type) shifts from simplistic
vote-counting methods to more-difficult-to-explain methods -- without
even considering the complication of switching from single-winner to
multi-winner results.

Richard Fobes